Are you awake when you know you need to be sleeping? Pregnancy insomnia is real and stems from hormone changes, changing body mechanics, and of sometimes worries and anxieties that creep in and make it hard for your mind to settle. Here are 5 quick tips to try that will help you get some zzz’s.
- Try breathing exercises like the 4-7-8 pattern below. This breathing pattern has been shown to help relax people and induce sleep.
- Count 10 breaths in a row, then begin again and count 10 more. This is like counting sheep but connects you to your breath.
- Resist the temptation to check your phone or flip on the TV. The brightness of the screens interrupts the hormones that promote sleep.
- Do a “brain dump” – If your mind is racing, take the time to write down your anxieties, tasks, or ideas in your journal. Then put them out of your mind until morning.
- Have a snack. Sometimes we are awakened because of hunger or thirst. Keep some small snacks and a water bottle near your bed so you don’t need to get up to eat.
Interested in learning more about breathing techniques to help with relaxation and reduce stress? Sign up for a mindfulness workshop at Baby and Company. (It’s free if you are a prenatal client!)